June 8, 2014

New {summer} dress

This week I fell in love with this blue fabric and without waiting too long I made a dress. 
I re-discovered the retro feminine cut that is very popular now - 
fitted bodice and full skirt, surprisingly flattering and easy to wear.
 I now have a nice summer dress made from the Beauty Queen quilting fabric
that I bought form Hawthorne threads website.
I am a huge fan of Jennifer Paganelli's fabrics and this one is from her latest creations.
The pattern I used was Simplicity 1873.

Blue dress

Blue dress

Blue dress



5 comments:

  1. beautiful Sofia. I love that shade of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks absolutely wonderful and you have accessorised it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sofia does the fabric crush easily and need lots of ironing? Are you happy with the weight of it for your dress. It's just stunning and so are you. I've enjoyed having a longer look around your blog and flickr and love all that you create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karen! The fabric does have some difficulties being 100% cotton versus cotton blends fashion fabric. It wrinkles easy, but irons easy, too. And the fabric weight is more like for an evening dress, but it holds the shape of the skirt very well. It feels very breathable and silky, very high quality cotton. After washing I will starch the skirt, because it will get softer every washing, may be dry cleaning better idea? Overall, I would recommend this kind of fabric for tops rather then dresses, as I see many fabric designers wear beautiful tunics and blouses made of their own fabrics.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Sofia. I have used quilting fabric to make dresses for some of my daughters but not for myself. I recently ordered a yard of AMH's Pretty Potent Primrose in Sapphire - the quality of the fabric is better than most quilting fabrics, it's so soft. I noticed Beauty Queen is also my Free Spirit Westminster so imagine it to be the same quality. I like your thoughts on how 100% cotton most likely works better as a blouse or tunic. I like to wear long skirts but the cotton may best be saved for using as a blouse.

      Delete